Tuesday 27 December 2016

Guest review: Kunert Warm Up Cotton Opaque Tights

We are always happy to publish detailed guest reviews at Hosiery For Men.

We have previously published guest reviews by one of our readers, Lei, who is based in the USA.

Lei has now shared with us his review of the Kunert Warm Up Cotton Opaque Tights, which he purchased from one of our recommended retailers UK Tights.



About me


Male, 5’10’’, ~157lb, average build.

I recently purchased a pair of Kunert Warm Up Cotton Opaque Tights 120 denier, size XL, in color smoked-grey, from UK Tights.



UK Tights describe these tights as follows:

"With these fabulous Kunert warm up cotton tights you will enjoy warm legs on the coldest of days. The combination of unique hollow fibres called Meryl Nexten, and the special production process helps to store body heat giving you a cosy warm feeling even on ice cold days. Warm Fiber Plus in the foot area helps to keep the feet extra warm. The perfect fit and pressure free waistband enhance the comfort. With a high cotton content they will also help to keep you feeling fresher for longer."


Wearing experience



Unlike my other reviews, the pictures are taken and the review is written after I’ve washed and worn these a couple of times, so my perspective will be a bit different this time.

The Kunert Warm Up Cotton Opaque Tights are made from 70% Cotton, 13% Polyamide, 11% Kapok, 2% Elastane and 1& Polyacryl.

Let’s get this out of the way first: cotton tights will never feel the same as nylon tights. They will never be as smooth and soft, and they will never be as stretchy.

That said, these cotton tights are much softer and smoother, and less rough against the skin, than the cotton tights that I’ve had previously. They are stretchy enough to fit me snugly without any issues – there is not really any extra material anywhere, despite my buying a size larger, as usual. I would be somewhat concerned about the fit if I did buy exactly my size, so I’d recommend going up a size when buying.

One nice thing about tights that are not so stretchy: they don’t sag or slide nearly as much, which is nice.

These tights are indeed very warm as they claim. On days when it is too cold to wear even 200 denier nylon tights with shorts, these cotton tights kept me warm just fine.

The waistband is very comfortable – I barely feel it – but it does its job of keeping the tights in place pretty well.

Design

There is a front center seam and gusset.



For sizes smaller than XL, there is also a center seam in the back. For sizes XL and XXL, there is a back panel, like this:



There is a tag in the back as well.



There is a footed section that has a bit of stretch to it. Upon first wearing, I remember it feeling a bit tight, but after a couple of times it loosens up and is quite comfortable.



My shoe size is US size 9 (UK size 6), and the footed section fits me perfectly fine with possibly a bit more room to go up to US size 9.5 (UK size 6.5). Keep in mind this pair of tights is size XL.



The opacity is perfect – there is no skin showing through anywhere, even if I bend my knee. The texture of the cotton knitting is very visible, as I’ve seen with any pair of cotton tights.



They’ve managed to not pick up any dust or pilling in the few times that I’ve hand-washed and worn them; given that my other cotton tights have all managed to get rather dusty or start pilling soon after I started wearing them, I’d say this is a sign of the excellent quality of these tights.

Color range, fit, and pricing


The Kunert Warm Up Cotton Opaque Tights are available in five sizes at UK Tights:

  • Small
  • Medium 
  • Large
  • X Large
  • XX Large
As I mentioned, I’m 5’10’’ and weigh around 157lb. I bought a size XL, which is one size larger than the suggested fit, but I think that was a good decision given that these tights are not very stretchy and there’s not a lot of extra material even though I bought one size up. I would recommend buying these one size larger than the suggested size.


The Kunert Warm Up cotton tights come in black, dark-brown, and smoked-grey. I bought them in smoked-grey. The grey color is significantly lighter than shown on the website, so I’d imagine that the same applies to the other colors as well.



These tights are available from UK Tights for £21.99, or around $27.27 for buyers in the States.

Verdict


These are very nice cotton tights – very soft, very comfortable, very warm as they suggest.

But, for me personally, I don’t think I’ll ever prefer cotton tights over nylon ones – sure, they are warmer, but they will never feel as nice as nylon ones, and I’m not the biggest fan of the clearly visible cotton knit texture (I usually prefer the smoother look of nylon tights as well).

For the price, I could get nylon tights that are just as warm and are more to my liking. But, if you are in the market for a pair of cotton tights and are willing to splurge, I think these are worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Your shoe size conversion is wrong, a US men 9 is a UK 8. I looks like you converted from a US women 9 to a UK 6.5.

    ReplyDelete