Saturday 26 November 2016

Unexpected Customers

"Unexpected Customers"

This was an article written and published by Christine Nicholson, the founder of online hosiery retailer Divine Legs.





In the article Christine reflects on the journey in to men and tights community she has been on since launching Divine Legs: learning that many men buy and wear tights for all kinds of reasons.

We are posting, with Christine's permission, the full article as it will interest Hosiery For Men readers and deserves a wide readership.

You can read our feature on Divine Legs and interview with Christine.

You can also read our review of the ITEM m6 Beauty Tights, one of the styles of tights stocked at Divine Legs


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unexpected Customers

I thought I knew a fair bit about tights but starting Divine Legs has taken me on an interesting journey into the needs and lifestyles of a surprising variety of people through social media.

One of the most surprising things is the number of men with an interest in hosiery. And I don't mean as a fetish. As soon as I set up my twitter account, one of my first followers was a man who had only recently started on his own hosiery discovery journey. After the first contact, many more followed. It was simply amazing at the number of men who have asked about the Divine Legs hosiery collection.

This got me thinking about how the needs of men who are looking for tights for themselves could be better served.

#Brosinhose


So taking the advice of a well regarded blogger in this field (#hosieryformen - thank you!), I paid attention. First of all not all men who wear tights are wearing in them in a feminine context. Which makes sense as not a lot of women I know wear trousers in a male context!

It's Not Just Men in Skirts

My journey evolved into a whirl-wind tour of society's attitude towards men wearing female focused clothing. There was stunning amount of negativity around "cross dressing". Perhaps I am naive but I hadn't thought of clothing as gender exclusive. For a start I was bought up in Scotland, the land of men-in-skirts! Kanye West, Marc Jacobs and David Beckham have all given skirts a go. So why should wearing tights be any different?

So taking the advice of a well regarded blogger in this field (#hosieryformen - thank you!), I paid attention. First of all not all men who wear tights are wearing in them in a feminine context. Which makes sense as not a lot of women I know wear trousers in a male context! 

It's Not Just Men in Skirts


My journey evolved into a whirl-wind tour of society's attitude towards men wearing female focused clothing. There was stunning amount of negativity around "cross dressing". Perhaps I am naive but I hadn't thought of clothing as gender exclusive. For a start I was bought up in Scotland, the land of men-in-skirts! Kanye West, Marc Jacobs and David Beckham have all given skirts a go. So why should wearing tights be any different?

Common sense says asking the right questions would be the best way to find out what men want, and the answers are surprisingly simple:

  • Tight that fit and are comfortable
  • Tights that last more than just first contact with any solid surface - yet don't look like something your granny would wear
  • Tights that feel luxurious and make your legs look amazing
  • A simple quality and discreet service that gets the most comfortable tights delivered QUICKLY
So far so good as none of this was rocket science - in fact to my mind it is simply essential good customer service. And really no different to what women want in a hosiery retailer.

What was really intriguing was the unexpected access to really interesting people with amazing stories that just cried out to be told. Every journey is different, with some common themes and it would be great to regularly feature these stories on my blog. Please send yours in, I'd love to hear from you - anonymity assured if thats what you need. Today I just want to share a part of my own journey into the men-in-tights community.

So far I have "met":

  • a happily married secret cross-dresser,
  • an openly transvestite married man, and
  • a couple of guys who, whilst openly dressing-up on the weekend, have working lives in traditional gender based dress (i.e. they wear a suit and tie to work);
  • Plus a whole group of men who wear hosiery in a non-feminine context with their male-focused clothes; 
  • And many more.
It's a great community and a lot of amazing stories

I am still getting used to the language of men-in-tights so bear with me as a learn. Looking forward, let's get these extraordinary stories out there so that a more positive image of cross dressing can be revealed and to encourage those thinking of taking this step can be more confident that "being yourself" should be celebrated.

To take the lead from one of my twitter followers, #brosinhose is about to have its moment - and long may that moment last!

At Divine Legs we love hearing from you - and any suggestions you have which will improve the service we offer is gratefully received. Whilst we can't always respond to every idea, we do read every email with interest and try to give a personal response to everyone.


Source

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can check the collection of tights at Divine Legs here.

You can also connect with Divine Legs at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

The Divine Legs website also has more contact options including a live chat facility.

No comments:

Post a Comment